Excellence in Education
The Excellence in Education Banquet will be held on June 3, 2019
Selecting a Teacher to Receive the Larry K. Zerkle Excellence in Education Award
1. You are to select the one teacher from your K-12 school career who has had the most influence on your success. This may be a teacher who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to encourage you in your academic endeavors, or a teacher who has provided extraordinary guidance and direction to you.
2. The teacher, whom you select, must be a teacher from the school district you are now attending. (Exceptions may be made if you have just moved into the district.) The teacher you choose may be retired or deceased.
3. Remember, the teacher may have been a kindergarten, elementary, middle school, or senior high school teacher. He/she need not be a teacher you have had this year.
Completing the Teacher Selection Form
1. Please complete the Teacher Selection Form as soon as possible and return it to your district representative. Please allow more than enough time for letters of invitation to be prepared, mailed to your honored teachers and to your parents. Etiquette would suggest that all guests receive their invitations at least one week in advance of the event.
2. When filling out the Teacher Selection Form PLEASE be sure to provide your complete address (including zip code) and the complete address (including zip code) of the teacher selected to be honored. This will enable us to mail the invitation letters to your parents and to the honored teacher.
3. Type a statement that describes why you selected this teacher to receive the Larry K. Zerkle Excellence in Education Award. Statements should not exceed 250 words. This statement needs to be submitted electronically to your committee representative as early as possible. (Please do not scan statement, please submit it in its original format)
Presenting the Excellence in Education Award at the Banquet on June 3, 2019
1. Practice reading what you have written, so that you can make eye contact with the audience frequently.
2. Please be sure to line up in the order you are listed on the program. This ensures that you receive the correct plaque and statement when walking up to the podium.
3. When there are only two students left waiting to present from the previous district, please proceed to walk up to the tables located on the left side of the room to receive your teacher’s plaque and statement. After receiving your teacher’s plaque and statement, please walk up to the left side of the podium and line up behind those students to prepare to read your statement and present your honored teacher. Your school representative will call you up to the podium when it is time for you to present.
4. After you have read your statement and presented your teacher their award, proceed to your left to get your picture taken where you will also be given your excellence plaque.
5. You are encouraged to bring parents to the recognition event on June 3, 2019 which begins at 6:30 p.m. Please plan to arrive by 6:00 p.m.
6. Appropriate dress for the event includes business attire.